Welcome to Brampton 'The Ellis' C of E Aided Primary School
A warm welcome from our Federation headteacher Mrs A Benbow
Our School Vision and Values
Brampton 'The Ellis' C of E (aided) Primary School is a happy, safe and exciting place of learning. We strive to make strong relationships and genuine partnerships with our families and the wider community to support our children on their journey in life.
Christian Values underpin our determination to ensure that every child can be the best they can, in order to take their place as a valuable citizen within our world. We focus on the 3 R’s: Respect, Responsibility and Resilience. We chose 'Respect and Responsibility' both as a direct link to our church school status and also in terms of the children understanding their place, not only within school but also in the wider community and the world. 'Resilience' was chosen as it shows how no-one gives up here and the children understand the importance of becoming a resilient learner. The children feel strongly that the way the learning is structured with both challenge and choice leads to self-motivation. They state that this allows every child to enjoy their school experience and that any visitor to school would see children enjoying their learning.
Our Founder, George Ellis
Born in 1627, George Ellis was a local landowner and benefactor who lived in the Manor House, now known as Brampton Hall, at Brampton Bierlow. He founded the original school at Brampton in 1680 and, when he died in 1712, his will included the following:
"I bequeath to the school in Brampton six pounds thirteen shillings and four pence per annum for ever for the teaching of 20 of the poorest boys or girls to read the Bible and instructing them in the Church Catechism....and if there be not at any time hereafter the full number of poor boys and girls in Brampton and Wath to be taught, that number be made up from the neighbouring towns."
The land was given by Lord Fitzwilliam on 28th May 1864. The school was built in 1865 at a cost of £689.16.00. Accommodation was for 180 although there were 200 pupils on the books. A residence was available for the Headmistress. The school was opened on Monday 9th April 1866.
The trustees give financial support for major building works, books and general equipment for school. They also finance a Reading Support scheme in school, and in the past few years helped finance development of the playground and ICT resources. The Chairman of the Trustees has included such distinguished peers of the realm as Earl Fitzwilliam and the Earl of Halifax and the Earl of Scarborough.
Our school belongs to the Diocese of Sheffield.